Do you have the embarrassing problem of consistent bad breath? If you are concerned about bad breath, also called halitosis, schedule an appointment with our dentists. Dr. Nitya Balan treats bad breath in Cedar Park, Texas. Our dentists can help identify the cause of the bad breath and recommend treatment accordingly.
There are many factors that can cause bad breath.
- The food you eat affects the air you exhale. Garlic and onions are fragrant foods and can cause bad breath. If food is the cause of the halitosis, change what you eat and drink. Consume more fruits and vegetables and less meat. Drink more water and avoid foods that cause bad breath.
- Gum disease can cause persistent bad breath. Having gum disease treated by our dentists can greatly reduce or eliminate halitosis.
- Bad oral hygiene can also cause bad breath. Be sure to brush twice daily, including your tongue, and floss once daily.
- If you have a dry mouth, there is not enough saliva to clean away food particles. Our dentists may recommend artificial saliva or using sugar-free candy to increase your fluid intake.
- Using tobacco products can cause bad breath. Tobacco product use also increases your risk for gum disease, oral cancer, and other dental problems. Our dentist can recommend tips to quit the habit.
- If our dentists determine that your mouth is healthy, they may refer you to your physician, as bad breath can also be caused by medical conditions like disease.
We welcome you to contact Discovery Park Dental today to learn more and to schedule a visit.